My silpat smells like mackeral -- how do I clean it properly?

I broiled a mackeral on my silpat yesterday night. I washed twice in hot water and dish soap, and even soaked it for half an hour in soapy warm water.

asked by passifloraedulis over 6 years ago

I'd try soaking it in hot water that's acidulated with lemon juice -- just halve a few lemons and squeeze them in to the water.

Kt4
Kt4

My first thought is to use vinegar.

passifloraedulis

I finally got rid of the smell!

Soaking it with vinegar was not enough. I read online that the silicon molecules in the silpat would expand when warmed and secrete the previously soaked in oils. I first warmed the silpat up in the oven (I baked a sweet potato with it) and, while the silpat was hot, immediately soaked it in warm soapy water and white vinegar. Voila -- smells like new!

I didn't have lemon on hand, but I'm sure it would work similarly to vinegar.

kitkat

THANK YOU for saving my silpat! I broiled mackerel on my brand new silpat and I was so mad at myself for not thinking about how fishy it would get. Warming the silpat and then soaking it in hot, soapy water with vinegar worked wonders!

Better living through chemistry!

IlovePhilly

Thank you so much for asking this question! You solved a problem I didn't know I could solve!

passifloraedulis

I'm glad this old thread is still useful!

And by the way, "My silpat smells like mackerel," is a drop-dead conversation-stopper! Comedy Central may have you written all over it.

Barbara

Today I made toasted siracha sunflower seeds and my silpat mat was totally siracha-fied. As mentioned in this thread, I heated my silpat in the oven, then soaked it in hot water and white vinegar - BINGO!!!! The smell is totally gone. Thank you so much for posting this solution - it was a huge help.