🔕 🔔

How long will it take my 20 lb. turkey to defrost, and do I want it to come to room temp?

asked by @miglorious about 7 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Defrost the turkey in the refrigerator for 36 hours, then yes, let it come to room temperature for 1 to 2 hours, in a place that's not unusually hot --- like not near the oven! Good luck!

F9130072 4646 4323 9dd2 0d0c3b3ae83a  me

About two days in the fridge, and then overnight at room temp before cooking is what i do.

Dc5f23e3 03f5 4e5c abfc 43713aa2342e  meerkat

I would give it 3 days. I'm going for 4 days on mine because my refridgerator is very cold right now. I don't feel comfortable lettin the bird sit out, but an hour is fine. You do not want it to come to room temperature, that is really unsafe as it allowed bacteria to flourish rapidly.