🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken Thigh Stew what is Greek seasoning?

4aabba5c cc0d 11e5 b80f 3c15c2d2bb38  47 full

I have a question about the recipe "Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken Thigh Stew" from KarinCooks. What is Greek seasoning?

asked by Ipanema Girl about 6 years ago

There a lot of different variations, but I think you need to have oregano, mint, thyme, and marjoram, at the very least. Maybe even basil. But the mix definitely needs to have oregano and mint.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I don't remember where I found it, but here's a recipe: Stir together 2 Tb salt, 1 Tb black pepper, 2 Tb granulated garlic, 2 tsp basil, 2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp thyme.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Cavender's makes one which is excellent. I posted a recipe for Greek Grilled Lamb Chops which includes a recipe for Greek seasoning. You can find it here:

Here in Atlanta, GA , there is a brand called Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning. The ingredients listed are Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic,Oregano, Sugar, Onion Powder, Parsley and 5 other spices that they don't list. S-C Seasoning Co, Inc. P.O. Box 1296 Harrison, Arkansas. 72601.

You could just at easily mix something similar on your own if you can't find it. Hope this helps.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I'll second and third the "Cavanders" which is one of the few spice mixes I purchase.

it's very good to make a dressing if you start with a base of that oil and vinegar. You'll have a basic dressing..maybe a touch of lemon. A base.
Mix with some ketchup, sugar, mayo and you'll have a creamy russian/french dressing. (add dill pickle cubes for thousand island).
Take that first base dressing and add sour cream, mayo, thin with buttermilk (or milk) and add dried parsley flakes and onion powder for a ranch.
Cavanders...Yogurt and cucumbers makes a good Tazaki sauce too. (well, good not a great one)
And so, on and so on.
Great to keep on hand IMHO for a quick dressing mix or seasoning a fish or chicken for frying.