A question about a recipe: Sauteed Zucchini with Panch Pharon and Almonds

where can I find the ingredient "panch pharon" on the recipe "Sauteed Zucchini with Panch Pharon and Almonds" from thirschfeld?

• Posted by: AmyG
  • April 1, 2012

RobertaJ
RobertaJ April 2, 2012

As far as I know, panch pharon is a spice blend used in Indian cooking. I have not seen it available commercially, but I also didn't look for it when I've been at an Indian market. One of my Indian cookbooks, Julie Sahni's "Introduction to Indian Cooking" has a recipe for it. (2T cumin seeds, 2T fennel seeds, 2T black mustard seeds, 1T feugreek seeds and 1T nigella seeds mixed together.) I'd suggest "googling" it to see if there are any other alternative ratios.

Panfusine
Panfusine April 2, 2012

Panch phoron is simply equal quantities of five spices (Panch - Five) cumin, fennel seed, mustard, fenugreek & nigella..

hardlikearmour April 2, 2012

I'be gotten it from World Spice Merchants in Seattle. They also have a great Ras el Hanout blend.

susan g April 2, 2012

I've gotten it in an Indian grocery, SWAD brand. I think that brand is widely distributed, out of Chicago.

Alison Marie
Alison Marie April 15, 2012

I think it is also described in the notes under the photo. It looks pretty easy to make. I use an old electric coffee bean grinder to grind these kind of seeds together and it works really well.