🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Sauteed Zucchini with Panch Pharon and Almonds

43668fd4 9c27 425a 8c80 9541c6875251  zucchini panch pharon

where can I find the ingredient "panch pharon" on the recipe "Sauteed Zucchini with Panch Pharon and Almonds" from thirschfeld?

asked by AmyG over 5 years ago

As far as I know, panch pharon is a spice blend used in Indian cooking. I have not seen it available commercially, but I also didn't look for it when I've been at an Indian market. One of my Indian cookbooks, Julie Sahni's "Introduction to Indian Cooking" has a recipe for it. (2T cumin seeds, 2T fennel seeds, 2T black mustard seeds, 1T feugreek seeds and 1T nigella seeds mixed together.) I'd suggest "googling" it to see if there are any other alternative ratios.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Panch phoron is simply equal quantities of five spices (Panch - Five) cumin, fennel seed, mustard, fenugreek & nigella..

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'be gotten it from World Spice Merchants in Seattle. They also have a great Ras el Hanout blend.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I've gotten it in an Indian grocery, SWAD brand. I think that brand is widely distributed, out of Chicago.

I think it is also described in the notes under the photo. It looks pretty easy to make. I use an old electric coffee bean grinder to grind these kind of seeds together and it works really well.