🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Roasted Butterflied Chicken with Cardamom and Yogurt

29aa0ddf ebaa 4ea5 ac1d cad6ab6312e8  2017 0629 roasted butterflied chicken with cardamom and yogurt rocky luten 016

If I can't find the cardamom spice, do you have a suggestion for an alternative?

asked by Tina Nguyen over 5 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

You could omit it. I think cinnamon would be nice with the other spices. Garam masala would work as well. I'd also consider allspice. I'd probably add 1/2 to 1 tsp of whatever I chose.

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

Tina, I would just leave out the cardamom entirely. It's not something that's easy to substitute. Your dish will taste different, but it'll still be delicious!

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Cardamom's the second most expensive spice in the world, so it may be locked up at your grocery store - ask the store manager. Or try a middle eastern market. There's really nothing like it!

I bought cardamom today--in bulk. I got a tableoon or two of the pods for 72 cents. You should be able to find cardamon at a reasonably good grocery store or at a health food store where you can buy by bulk.