A question about a recipe: Roasted Butterflied Chicken with Cardamom and Yogurt

29aa0ddf ebaa 4ea5 ac1d cad6ab6312e8  2017 0629 roasted butterflied chicken with cardamom and yogurt rocky luten 016

If I can't find the cardamom spice, do you have a suggestion for an alternative?

asked by Tina Nguyen over 6 years ago

You could omit it. I think cinnamon would be nice with the other spices. Garam masala would work as well. I'd also consider allspice. I'd probably add 1/2 to 1 tsp of whatever I chose.

Nozlee Samadzadeh

Tina, I would just leave out the cardamom entirely. It's not something that's easy to substitute. Your dish will taste different, but it'll still be delicious!

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Cardamom's the second most expensive spice in the world, so it may be locked up at your grocery store - ask the store manager. Or try a middle eastern market. There's really nothing like it!

I bought cardamom today--in bulk. I got a tableoon or two of the pods for 72 cents. You should be able to find cardamon at a reasonably good grocery store or at a health food store where you can buy by bulk.