🔕 🔔

What is the easiest possible way to can foods?

I'm trying to can fermented cabbage and worried I might poison myself...

asked by spreadinglove over 5 years ago

If you only have a small amount of cabbage, you could put it in sterilized jars, store it in the refrigerator, and plan on eating it within a couple weeks. But actual home canning really isn't something where you should be looking for "easy." There are standard procedures, and for safety's sake it's best to follow them to the letter.

If you haven't canned before, there are lots of print and online resources for home canners that guide you through the process. Here is a useful short online primer:

http://ohioline.osu.edu...

Fermented cabbage is a high-acid food, so you can use the boiling-water canning method. Take care to properly clean and sterilize your jars and lids, and don't stint on the processing time. If a jar doesn't seal, put it in the refrigerator rather than storing it at room temperature.