🔕 🔔

Pork shoulder but no skin....what to do?

Okay, so I want to fix Matilda, Maple & Garlic Pork Shoulder with Crispy Skin but, alas, I cannot find a pork shoulder with skin in the city unless I special order it. Has anyone tried this recipe without the skin? Do you need to do anything different?

asked by galsmu over 5 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I hate to say this, but I would do the special order.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

drape the shoulder with overlapping slices of bacon.

Would you put the bacon on right at the beginning of the slow roast?
If so, would you put the paste over top of the bacon?

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

I'm not familiar enough with this recipe to make a suggestion, but I've made Momofuku's Bo Ssam with a skinless pork shoulder (the recipe calls for a shoulder with skin) and it's been great. The high heat at the end of the long, slow roast lacquers the meet and provides it with that lovely, crackly top. I'm sure you could make this recipe without the skin, or go with Le Bec Fin's suggestion of creating a skin with bacon.

3162c11b e070 4795 95d1 fd9492a6b582  lulusleep

You can make carnitas or pulled pork