Has anyone tried the tubes of umami? Is it just a paste of MSG?

asked by latoscana almost 8 years ago

campagnes

I'm intrigued by it and would like to try it, but i've had difficulty nailing down an official ingredient list. According to little blog snippets I've read, it has the following ingredients:

Tomato purée
Garlic
Anchovy Paste (anchovies, salt, sunflower oil)
Black Olive
Balsamic Vinegar
Porcini mushrooms
Parmesan cheese
Olive oil
Vinegar
Sugar
Salt

But I haven't seen whether those are the ONLY ingredients. Would love to learn more about the product and try it.

Mr_Vittles

Instead of using those fake chemical products, try using what I call "Umami Bombs" they would be tomato paste, anchovies, marmite/vegemite, dark chocolate, soy sauce, fish sauce, Parmigiano Reggiano (no parmesan "stuff"), Worcester sauce, and really what is umami without loads of good old Kosher salt.

campagnes

I didn't really get the impression that it's a chemical-filled product... but I guess there's no way to know it isn't without seeing a full ingredient list. At some point during my search, i saw that someone suggested grinding up kombu, dried porchinis, and parmigiano reggiano and mixing the product into an equal measure of kosher salt for a good umami-laced seasoning... sounds fantastic.

latoscana

Thanks, folks. This list of ingredients sounds like a greatest hits of umami sources - it couldn't help but add savory flavor.

Try sweet white miso paste, too. Tons of umami there. Has a very parmigian-y taste.