🔕 🔔

Has anyone tried the tubes of umami? Is it just a paste of MSG?

asked by latoscana almost 7 years ago

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

I'm intrigued by it and would like to try it, but i've had difficulty nailing down an official ingredient list. According to little blog snippets I've read, it has the following ingredients:

Tomato purée
Garlic
Anchovy Paste (anchovies, salt, sunflower oil)
Black Olive
Balsamic Vinegar
Porcini mushrooms
Parmesan cheese
Olive oil
Vinegar
Sugar
Salt

But I haven't seen whether those are the ONLY ingredients. Would love to learn more about the product and try it.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Instead of using those fake chemical products, try using what I call "Umami Bombs" they would be tomato paste, anchovies, marmite/vegemite, dark chocolate, soy sauce, fish sauce, Parmigiano Reggiano (no parmesan "stuff"), Worcester sauce, and really what is umami without loads of good old Kosher salt.

I didn't really get the impression that it's a chemical-filled product... but I guess there's no way to know it isn't without seeing a full ingredient list. At some point during my search, i saw that someone suggested grinding up kombu, dried porchinis, and parmigiano reggiano and mixing the product into an equal measure of kosher salt for a good umami-laced seasoning... sounds fantastic.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

Thanks, folks. This list of ingredients sounds like a greatest hits of umami sources - it couldn't help but add savory flavor.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Try sweet white miso paste, too. Tons of umami there. Has a very parmigian-y taste.