2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

Tips on banana slices in pancakes

Is there a good way to do this? While I like the idea of roasting bananas and mixing them into the batter, I really want to include slices as well for the variety of texture. Adding dollops of batter on top of the banana seems conceptually like a good Idea, but I've never had much success with it.
What I'd like to avoid is the bananas sticking to the pan, or falling out of the pancake.

asked by PhillipBrandon almost 5 years ago
3274dd01 68df 403c a7b7 dc04541caaf8  dsc 0102 2

I've put pancake batter on a griddle, placed banana slices on the pancakes, and then drizzled on a little more batter over the slices with pretty good success. I'll admit, though, I really dig the concept of caramelized (or roasted) bananas in pancakes in addition to (or instead of) the fresh slices.

Forgot to add: drizzling a little batter over the banana slices helps hold them in the pancake and creates a slight barrier between the slices and the pan when you flip them (but leaving a little banana exposed means you get some caramelization, mmm)

8c5e3e9f 1b4a 49bc b261 442225295683  stringio

I second what Rachel S says. I also have blended the banana right into the pancake batter with success also.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.