🔕 🔔

Is canned pumpkin and pumpkin puree the same thing?

asked by muncecoin about 7 years ago

13396e3c bb40 4b40 9900 579f74cbabff  si

Essentially yes. There are pumpkins called "pie pumpkins" that give a sweeter, softer flesh.In my experience there is more water with cooked fresh pumpkin puree than with the tinned kind. If you are making pie, this could influence the recipe. There is a definite difference in taste and it's a personal preference whether the extra work of cooking the pumpkin is worth it to you.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Yes, I agree with SweetTea in that fresh pumpkin puree is wetter. Strain it for a few hours if you make it yourself.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I agree with mrslarkin and SweetTea. I generally used canned pumpkin as a time/effort saver. If you are using canned pumpkin you can get rid of the "tinny" flavor by cooking it in a saucepan for 5-6 minutes over medium-high heat. You need to stir it constantly, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

As long as the label on the does not say "pumpkin pie filling," you can substitute canned pumpkin for pumpkin puree in equal measure and your recipe will turn out fine. (You can also "roast" canned pumpkin by spreading it on a baking sheet and putting it in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes.

97062254 db02 4051 ae53 b9de40ec76b4  fb avatar

100% pure pumpkin not pumpkin pie mix

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

My understanding is that canned pumpkin is not made of pumpkins but another type of winter squash- I doubt anyone can tell in a made dish, though.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

I use butternut squash myself. If it seems a little watery, cooking it down in a saucepan for a bit will get rid of the excess liquid.