A question about a recipe: Apple Butter Pie

D100ada3 81ca 4cda 8965 481e07a3c709  apple butter pie

I have a question about the ingredient "well spiced apple butter, home made or bought at the farmers market" on the recipe "Apple Butter Pie" from thirschfeld.
I'm Italian, I never heard about this ingredient, do you have any recipie?
thanks

asked by Albe about 6 years ago

Albe

sorry I meant "spiced apple butter"

Here's thirschfeld's recipe --
And if you're not sure about apple cider, it's the fresh press juice of apples.
Apple butter is delicious spread on toast too!

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I really like this recipe: http://em-i-lis.com/wordpress...
Absolutely delicious!

Slow Cooked Pittsburgh

I should probably check out the above recipes, but all I do for apple butter is cook down (peeled cored) apples with a cinnamon stick, pass the apple sauce stage and continue to cook until it is thick thick thick. There you have apple butter.

The thirschfeld recipe sounds like it would be good. If you are in Italy, use an organic, unfiltered apple juice in place of the cider--it would be about the same thing. I would also use a old variety apple, one that is not overly sweet--you want some acidic quality in the fruit! Apple butter takes a long time to cook. It should not be watery, just thick and smooth. My grandmother used to make apple butter outside in a big kettle placed over an open fire because the apples would splatter so much while cooking. When it was finally ready, we would spoon the apple butter onto a thick, crusty slice of bread liberally spread with butter fresh from the dairy. I can highly recommend that!