🔕 🔔

How long do raw eggs out of the shell last?

5979f5e0 0008 4211 83bf 133b8ff6335a  raw egg in plastic bowl 42 15446458

I made a cake last week that, long story short, left me a few extra egg whites and yolks. I've had them in a covered plastic container in refrigerator since, the yolks and eggs mixed together. They still smell fine, should they be ok for eating?

I was curious if the shell magically keeps them fresher longer, since the rest of the eggs in the dozen are good.

asked by nomnivorous over 5 years ago

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

The shell does preserve freshness. When stored, broken, with the yolk, they start to go bad (off colour, white film on top) after a couple of days in the fridge. I've got a pretty strong stomach but I'd probably throw them out if they're more than 3 days past.

Egg whites on their own will keep several weeks in the fridge - just pitch them when they start to get very cloudy.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

The real question is ... do you want to trade a couple hours in the bathroom to save 31 cents?

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4

Well, it's definitely more than $0.31 worth of organic eggs. But that is very true

Freeze them. No spoilage that way