Can mashed potatoes be made a day or two ahead of time and then re-heated? If so, is there anything I should keep in mind? The recipe I'm using has sour cream and roasted onions in it, with potatoes that will be cooked in a rich stock. Thank you. ;o)

stephinboston
stephinboston November 19, 2010

I'm pretty sure you can make 'em. Spread 'em I'm Corningware and then heat 'em up either covered in cheese or foil at 375 for 40 minutes or so and they'll be scrumptious.

Ande
Ande November 19, 2010

Last year, I prepared Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes (sans Lawry's, though) the day before Thanksgiving, and served 'em up the next day. They are truly over the top delicious and they heat up beautifully. Definitely making them again this year.

http://thepioneerwoman...

campagnes
campagnes November 19, 2010

I was just about to recommend PW's mashed potatoes for reheating purposes. My former roommate is a huge mashed potato fan, and she said PW's recipe reheats better than any she's ever had. (although what you've shared sounds delicious, AntoniaJames.. potatoes + roasted onions + sour cream + rich stock = YUM)

nutcakes
nutcakes November 19, 2010

I have read that you can make ahead, but you need to stir from time to time while reheating. I don't like the idea of it, but the mashed are such a pain. I wouldn't put that amount of butter and cream cheese in mashed potatoes as the PW recipe has for my family.

campagnes
campagnes November 19, 2010

Eh, as a once-a-year treat, they won't kill ya. Definitely one of her more over-the-top dishes, though.

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles November 19, 2010

Clearly Pioneer Woman's Mashed Potatoes go well for reheating because of the ridiculous amount of fat in them. If you make your original recipe, make sure to use loads of butter along with the sour cream, and use whole fat sour cream as well. If they are too watery, they will surely dry out in the oven/microwave when reheating or create a starchy coating on the top.