The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

we're making a fish stew. it calls for canned clams. we have fresh in shell. can we just throw them in, shell and all?

the recipe calls for the base of the stew (veggies and tomato base) to cook for 5 hrs in a slow cooker, then add all the fish/shellfish 30 min before. can we just throw the fresh clams, in the shell, in with the rest of it? or do we need to steam them first? thanks!

asked by sarahgee almost 5 years ago
516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Absolutely! When they open they are ready to eat. If any do not open pick them out and toss.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I'm assuming you're throwing the seafood in the slow cooker, right? I think you'll be ok with that but I'll be honest...I would transfer the stew to a Dutch oven or soup pot and on the range add the fish and shellfish in and simmer for about 5 minutes or so before serving. The slow cooker might over cook the shellfish. Just make sure the clams are well cleaned.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Myself, I would put the fresh clams in for the last five minutes of cooking time and then cover everything back up. Clams should be signing opera to you really quick. As bigpan said, toss out any that don't open. But fresh clams will be way superior to canned ones.

thanks, all!