🔕 🔔

Meringue Cookies Always Fall Flat

I live at 6500 feet, and this is the only thing I can imagine that is causing problems in my meringue-making. I have tried umpteen times to get nice meringue cookies, but even if they look like they're going to work, they ALWAYS turn into flat, crispy disks that have to be scraped off of the cookie sheet. HELP!

asked by lacrema over 5 years ago

Have you tried adding a bit of cornstarch? The small amount of cornstarch (~1TB) seems to help make the meringues more stable, though the texture might be a bit different (more crispy)

This is for a meringue pie, but I think the solution (adding cornstarch) would work for your cookies:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe...

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

At your altitude you need to stabilize the whites. A bit of corn starch can help but cream of tartar is better, or whisk in a copper bowl (which is a natural stabilizer).

959cbed1 6d53 423b a801 4cdce9613645  open uri.13930

Perhaps this webpage/site will give you some insight.

http://www.lespetitsmacarons...

B998292e 5f82 4e77 8b64 e54e96f091d9  stringio

Thank you for the suggestions! My recipe (from Cook's Illustrated) did have cream of tartar, but I will try upping it and maybe adding corn starch as well.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I'm definitely not at high altitude, but I find that a pinch of kosher salt added to the egg whites really helps them stiffen up.