IT'S TOMATO WEEK ON FOOD52! CELEBRATE ACCORDINGLY »

best way to store fresh cucumbers?

what's the best way to store fresh cucumbers picked fresh from the garden, or farmers market fresh? I hear different schools of thought. some swear by wrapping in paper towel and refrigerating. Others, say NO, don't put in fridge.

asked by Eatdrinkpurr about 4 years ago
84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

Loosely wrapping cucumbers in damp paper towels and then storing them in an open-topped plastic bag is the way to get them to last the longest -- the environment will keep them from drying out or spoiling. If you're planning to use them quickly, though, keeping them on the counter is fine for a day or two!

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

I swear by those plastic "green bags.". My vegetables last 3 or 4 times longer if I put them (dry) in a green bag in the fridge. As long as you don't let the veggies rot, you can reuse the bags many times. I cannot restrain myself at the farmers market and used to lose a lot of produce due to poor planning. Now I can keep veggies fresh for over a week, if not two or three.

Keeping them damp is the quickest way to make them go bad. Cukes last a really long time with no effort at all so don't stress or buy less if you don't use them.