A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS. 50 UNDER $50. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

How long can I marinate pork with a dry rub?

I dry-rubbed some pork country ribs with a salt/sugar/spice mix (no acid) with the intention of an overnight marinade, and grilling them about 20 hours later. Something came up and I'll have to wait until tomorrow to grill the ribs. Will they still be ok with around 48 hours of marinating time?

asked by Josh Riggs about 4 years ago
A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

You should be fine. Assuming you used the correct proportion of salt to meat, the additional standing time won't make any difference since equilibrium will have been reached long before.

(By the way, the term marinate denotes a soaking in a liquid preparation.)

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

ChefOno, any tips on how you know if you've used the correct proportion of salt to meat?

Honestly, you'll only know after tasting if the meat is too salty or not salty enough. It takes some experience with the rub you're using to know how much you should use for any given cut of meat. A roast can take *a lot* more than a rack of ribs.

"It depends" is probably not the kind of answer you were looking for. Maybe this will help a little: I might use 2 Tbs. of kosher salt for a 4-pound beef roast before letting it stand for 24 hours. Ribs receive a liberal coating of rub but it's probably only 1/8 kosher salt. In other words, not much more than if you were seasoning just prior to cooking.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I had a feeling "it depends" might figure into answer...I do appreciate the extra info, though -- it helps the guesswork of seasoning be more like educated guesswork.