A question about a recipe: Fish Baked in Foil with Fennel and Lime

Cc618e51 e4c0 4e18 aa1e 6160bbe72578  fish baked

I have a question about the recipe "Fish Baked in Foil with Fennel and Lime" from merrill. I'd like to make this with fish that's not whole (salmon steaks, about 1.3 pounds). What should the cooking time be? I'll be adapting the flavors -- lime, tamarind, cilantro, soy, scallions and garlic -- but that shouldn't affect the cooking time.

Nozlee Samadzadeh

Come now, AntoniaJames, use your kitchen confidence! Bake them at the same temperature until the salmon is cooked through.

Are there any rules of thumb? It would be helpful if someone with experience (which I do not have, in this regard) could provide at least an estimate. "Kitchen confidence" aside, the cooking method here involves steaming the fish, which of course would be affected by opening the foil packet to test. That is why I posed this question. ;o)

chefsusie

I hate to tell people its done when its done. But, when it comes to fish..I do have a rule of thumb that has helped out from the Canadian Fisheries. 10 mins for every 1" of thickness. Its not precise but it gives you a measure. Hope this helps.

I make salmon in foil packets and have experimented with both temperature timing. I live in a region where frozen filets are a better option than fresh amd I would say the pieces I get are four ounces or under. I set the oven fairly high, perhaps around 400 and wrap the salmon in parchment paper along with lots of sliced onions, garlic, lemon and herbs. After about 20 minutes, I open the oven, set the baking dish on top of the stove and put my ear close to the packet. If I hear a bit of sizzling, it is ready to eat. If the packet is not speaking to me, it goes back in the oven umtil it has something to say!

Third Floor Kitchen

I would bake it for 20 minutes at 350 or at 425 for 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the salmon steaks.