🔕 🔔

What's your absolute favorite banana bread recipe ( without nuts )?

asked by Seattle Mark over 5 years ago

This is a good banana-y one I've been making for years, tweaking it a little over time. The batter can also be baked in muffin tins.

1/4 C. unsalted butter, softened
1 C. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 very ripe or overripe bananas, coarsely mashed (frozen and thawed is OK)
1 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional--it won't taste cinnamon-y, just more complex )
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a loaf pan (or use baking spray).

Cream butter and sugar till light. Add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated, then add bananas to combine (mixture will look a curdled mess; it's OK). Stir together remaining ingredients, then add to wet mixture in 2 or 3 additions, mixing until the dry ingredients are just fully incorporated; do not overbeat. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 1 hour, until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no wet batter and just a few moist crumbs.

VARIATIONS: add 3/4 C chopped toasted walnuts or pecans, or 3/4 C toasted shredded coconut, or grated zest of 1/2 a lemon or orange.

From Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything", http://eastvillagekitchen...

It has unsweetened coconut flakes which gives the bread a nice flavor and fragrance that complements the bananas.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I made this one just last night. It was super easy and really delicious:
http://food52.com/recipes...

I made the food52 recipe above and it was easy and good.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

I was recently experimenting with banana bread and had a break through -- roast the bananas ahead of time! OMG! The flavor was AWESOME! I split the bananas lengthwise and put on parchment paper in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes. They ooze and caramelize, and when added to the banana bread dough add amazing texture and flavor depth. I peeled all the ooze off the parchment and added it -- even the parts that were really dark.

Did you peel the bananas before roasting?

Ooh roasting the bananas sounds intriguing!

I've used the Too Hot Tamale (does anyone else miss their show?) recipe forever and it is extremely moist and buttery. Reading through the other recipes I think this might be because it calls for a whole stick of butter... ; )

i use the recipe from "The Tassajara Bread Book". It's simply perfect, and easily adapted to use with chunky applesauce and even homemade jam (of which I have many extra jars this time of year, as I try to clear out last year's inventory as this year's is flowing in). I'll send the recipe to you, if you like. It's copyrighted material, so I won't post it, of course. ;o)

EnsoMark - Yes -- I did peel them before roasting. Frankly, it never occurred to me to do otherwise. Is there a better way?