I have a bread recipe that calls for "bread flour". What I have is "high gluten" flour. Are these one in the same, or do I need to buy bread

asked by Elaine Ruth about 6 years ago

chef of the future 2000

High gluten flour needs more liquid than bread flour to attain the optimum dough consistency. So you can definitely use the high-gluten; just add more water, and expect a chewier texture.

Elaine Ruth

Thank you so much. Inadequate the bread with the HG flour and the dough texture was indeed "rubbery". Ii was a whir bread sandwich loaf and came out very well but the dough was difficult to work with because of th texture.

It's all a science experiment!