Chicken wings: any recipe that doesn't use a grill or deep fry? I can use an oven.

asked by argus48 almost 6 years ago

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Here are 206 chicken wing recipes which are baked, broiled or roasted. http://www.food.com/recipe...

MTMitchell

I've done them a bunch of times in the oven. Epicurious has a ton of recipes but basically 425 on a sheet pan with some sauce for 45 minutes or so, flipping them half-way through, until "done," toss them with more sauce and you're done.

Heather Pool

For ~ 3 1/2 lbs. wings, section them and dredge in a mixture of ~1/2 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, dried savory, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and a couple of Tbls. flour. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350* for 20-25 mins, turn sections over and bake another 20 minutes or so. Skin should be browned. Sauce with 3 parts Frank's hot sauce to 1 part butter for hot wings. Also good with BBQ sauce, or Teriyaki sauce.

Benny

If you don't have a deep fryer, or don't want to heat up a huge amount of oil but still want a deep fried crispness: You can still pan fry them and then finish them in the oven. Depending on how many you want to make and how big of a pan you have, this may or may not work for you.

Just dredge them in seasoned flour and heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan. Cook on both sides, flipping once, until nice a nice crispy, golden crust forms. Then you can finish them off in the oven for a while. Sauce them up before they go in or leave them plain.

Check foodnetwork.com for recipes. I've successfully baked buffalo wings in the past with gret results.

Since I'm not at all a buffalo wing fan, I always broil my wings. Then I toss the broiled wings in my sticky spicy orange sauce and bake them in ansingle layer on a parchment lined sheet pan until the sauce melds with the wings.

I've made buffalo wings using the oven: toss raw chicken wings in a melted butter and garlic (can use garlic powder) mixture. Make at 425F for about 25-30 minutes, or until done. Take out of the oven and then toss with the warm buffalo sauce (hot sauce and melted butter/margarine mixture). Serve immediately.

I have also made red-cooked chicken wings using the stovetop, using this recipe: http://www.recipesource...
Just substitute with equivalent weight of chicken wings. The chicken wings will not take as long to cook, usually about 20-25 minutes of simmering.

There was a F52 competition on this subject: http://food52.com/contests...

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Ditto what everyone else said. Foodandwine.com also has some terrific wing recipes. I'm partial to the honey-soy wings. For what it's worth, I find that broiling them gives them a little char most reminiscent of grilling, which I like. Just made some broiled wings two nights ago, in fact.

Take a paper bag and dump in a cup of flour a couple of table spoons of cornstarch. Crushed Corn flakes or panko bread crumbs.
Season with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, oregano and celery salt. (or seasoning salt), and pepper.
Cajun seasoning if you're going spicy.
Wet the wings and put a few in the bag and shake (you're making homemade 'shake and bake').
Lay that out and on a sheet pan and bake as mentioned above.

babytiger

I use chicken wings for chicken adobo. Wings, a few bay leaves, 6-8 whole peppercorns, whole peeled cloves of garlic (I usually use an entire bulb), some soy sauce and vinegar (I use a combination of white and apply cider) into a pot and let them come to a boil and then simmer. After 15-20 minutes, I add some sugar and use additional vinegar and soy to adjust the taste. Cook until the wings are cooked through.

WannabeBaker

This is a little late, but I've got two suggestions for you. The first one comes from Ellie Krieger. Throw your wings in a pot big enough to hold them and enough water to cover them by about 2 inches. Heat it to a boil and then let them boil for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat your broiler on high. When the wings are done boiling, pop them on a broiler pan and throw them in the oven, high up but not high enough to get burned. Cook them for about six minutes, turn them over and cook them for about 4-5 minutes. When they're done, you're supposed to coat them with a wing sauce she suggests and then broil them for another minute, but I think they're fine without that last turn in the broiler. Her wing sauce uses chicken broth in place of butter if you want to be healthy. I haven't tried it, so don't know what it tastes like, but I think Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce is awesome, and at just 23 calories per serving, it's perfectly fine. She has a serving of wings (4-5) at 240 calories. Not bad at all! And my husband, who adores wings, thinks these are really good. It gets the skin nice and crispy without the mess and extra fat of frying them. I've been making them about once every two weeks, and he hasn't gotten bored of them yet.

The second recipe I haven't tried, but it's from Alton Brown, so I figure it must be good. It's fairly similar but takes longer. Instead of directly boiling the wings, he has you boil 1 inch of water before placing the wings over it in a steamer basket and then turning the heat down to medium to steamthe wings for 10 minutes. He then has you pat the wings dry before popping them in the fridge to cool for an hour on a sheet lined with paper towels. Finally, instead of broiling, he has you bake them in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes. Toss with your sauce of choice. I'm sure it's good, but like I said, it takes a lot longer.

I hate saucy, dipping wings. Personal preference there. Except for the crispy Korean Fried Wings posted here. Which are sauced and still crispy and good.

Now for the little flat part of the wing... here's a bit on how to eat those.
http://www.youtube.com...
Twisting out the two bones to leave a pure chicken bite.