A question about a recipe: Applesauce Cake with Caramel Glaze

Bc737f4b 3da7 44cf 8aa2 9890e4808afe  122010f 1001

I have a question about the ingredient "1 1/2 cups unsweetened (preferably homemade) applesauce" on the recipe "Applesauce Cake with Caramel Glaze" from merrill. Can you please elaborate on the process for making your applesauce?

asked by jackie0401 almost 6 years ago

I make applesauce by cooking 5 or so chopped apples in a saucepan with about a 1/2 cup of water and a teaspoon of lemon juice over medium/low heat. Put the lid on and cook until softened.

Nozlee Samadzadeh

You might try Judy Rogers' Roasted Applesauce:

http://www.food52.com/blog...
But any simpler recipe would do as well (cut apples, peeled or not, into chunks, and simmer with a little bit of water, lemon zest, and cinnamon until soft enough to mash).

For 1 1/2 cups applesauce peel and cut into cubes about 8 apples -- granny smiths are good. Place in a pot with about 1 cup of water. Not too much water because you don't want the apples to be too soggy. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook covered until the apples are very soft. Puree in a food processor or mash with a masher

I wouldn't recommend Granny Smiths for apple sauce, as they keep their shapes too well to my taste. Gala, Macintosh, Jonathan, Crispin, Cameo, Winesap, and Fuji all cook down better, well enough that I can't imagine the need for a food processor. I do sometimes use a food mill, but that's only if I didn't peel the apples before cooking or if I want an especially smooth sauce.

jackie0401

Thank you all. I actually used mrslarkin's method and pureed with an immersion blender since I did not peel the apples and needed a smoother sauce. Tastes delish!

ATG117

I also don't use granny smiths in applesauce. If I were going to, I'd definitely add other apples to the mix. But if you go all grannies, just beware of the tartness factor.
I made this cake. It's fantastic. When I made it, I did make homemade applesauce, but I think you can use store bought, unsweetened applesauce too if you so wished