A question about a recipe: Applesauce Cake with Caramel Glaze

Bc737f4b 3da7 44cf 8aa2 9890e4808afe  122010f 1001

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Applesauce Cake with Caramel Glaze" from merrill. It says:

"TheRunawaySpoon wisely advises that you put a piece of foil or paper under the cooling rack to catch any drips before you start the glaze. Put the butter in a medium saucepan with the brown sugar, cream and salt and set over medium heat. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil for one minute exactly, and then pull it off the heat."

My question is: if I'm making this paerve for a meat meal, what can I replace the heavy cream with? It looks delicious! Thanks.

asked by Jill Salomon Donaty almost 7 years ago

JessicaBakes

Hm...I'm not 100% clear on the rules for mixing meat and dairy. Could you use non-dairy coffee cream? Or liquid soy creamer?

Jill Salomon Donaty

I have used MochaMix in the past. It's a non-dairy coffee creamer. Just didn't know if there was any other substitution out there. Thanks.

You could try canned coconut milk full fat, its thick and creamy like heavy cream.

Coconut milk might work -- sorry, I've never tried it with anything non-dairy!

linchan77

i think if you don't want to use the cream, you won't get caramel. Maybe search online for caramel with something other than cream to see if it exists. if it does, based you glaze on that receipt. Or make a chocolate glaze with no milk.

What about this, use apple cider reduce it and add to the butter/margarine and brown sugar. I have made a sauce for bread pudding before making a caramel without milk or cream for my grand daughter who has a milk allergy.

Sdebrango, that sounds like a great idea. This isn't a true caramel, as you only cook the mixture for a minute, so it should be pretty resilient.

Thanks Merrill.

Jill Salomon Donaty

Wow! Thanks everyone. This is my first question and I am so pleased with your answers. I love this website, btw. It is now my go-to for all recipes.