🔕 🔔

Plastic wrap in the oven? Really?

Hello fellow 52ers. I am interested in preparing my turkey breasts as described in this recipe from the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com.... However, I'm a bit concerned about the direction to wrap the breasts in plastic wrap and put them in the oven. Does anyone else have experience with this technique? Will I kill my guests with cooked plastic in the turkey? Thanks in advance for your help!

asked by CarlaCooks almost 4 years ago
8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

The instruction to wrap in plastic does seem odd but then you wrap each breast in aluminum foil which will protect the breast and the plastic.

I accidentally put plastic wrap in the oven and had a mess. I would not try it on a turkey, or anything edible for that matter.

Dbb0efd1 0621 46ed bb68 53b412ba413f  fb avatar

My sister's ribs are the best I've ever tasted. I've made the recipe numerous times. She wraps the ribs in plastic wrap, then foil. When she takes them out of the oven and removes the foil, the plastic wrap just peels off. Then she puts them on the grill just to carmelize the sauce. They are succulent! I wouldn't hesitate to use plastic wrap--and we've never used restaurant grade plastic--and can't wait to try this preparation for the turkey breasts!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

There is a brand of plastic turkey bags, I think the name is "Look", but I could be wrong. Ask at the grocery store.
I have used a few times in the past and it works!
Also cuts the cooking time quite a bit.

You can check the grocery store for high-heat plastic bags or wrap, some of them carry it. All the plastic wraps that I have in my kitchen have warnings not to allow contact with food that is hot or heating.
I would probably just wrap the meat in parchment and then in the foil.

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

Thanks for all of the helpful answers! Unfortunately, I don't live in the States, and finding these different kinds of plastic wrap/bags just isn't possible here in Denmark. I think I'll try this technique on some chicken later on, but I won't attempt it for our Thanksgiving dinner in case it doesn't work out. Thanks again!

In Germany, we have bags used for cooking called Schlauchbeutel. I am sure you must have something similar iin Denmark--but I would give it a try on something rather small!