Defrosting a duck ah!

Ok so i've had my duck in the fridge for a little over 24 hours which was supposed to defrost it (it's 5.37 lbs) and i just took it out of the packaging and there are ice crystals on the inside, so its still kinda frozen right!?! but youre supposed to defrost it in the packaging in a bowl of water or in the fridge. I'm also pretty sure that you are NOT supposed to defrost duck at room temperature.. so what should I do? its sitting on my cutting board waiting to be defrosted and deboned but i dont know eek. please help.

• Posted by: Jassy
  • November 22, 2012

Reiney
Reiney November 22, 2012

Depending on your appetite for water consumption, run it under a faucet of cold water, or soak it in a tub of cold water. Make sure the water stays cold (for food safety reasons). I can't say how long this will take, as it really depends on how frozen the duck is. An hour or two maybe?

If it's only just frozen, you might be able to bone it out now. But that's only if it's almost all the way defrosted - otherwise the flesh will tear and it'll be messy/difficult.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo November 22, 2012

Put the duck in a bowl deep enough to cover it and fill with cool water. After 5 minutes or so, change water again. And again. Check into the duck cavity if there is anything in it (liver, neck etc.) and remove that packet. Your duck will defrost much faster then.