A question about a recipe: Momofuku's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fish Sauce Vinaigrette

72d5fb31 ba1b 40bd ac26 0a748bfd856b  8161982001 3a7a79633f b

I have a question about the recipe "Momofuku's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fish Sauce Vinaigrette " from Genius Recipes. Any ideas for a vegetarian alternative to fish sauce? Or is it too central to thie dressing to tamper with? Thanks!

asked by Nomnomnom over 5 years ago

It's pretty central to the flavor, but there were some great alternatives suggested in the comments thread on the original blog post: http://food52.com/blog...

Nomnomnom

Thank you! Will take a look there. Cheers!

Lynnht

Soy sauce usually works as a decent vegetarian alternative for fish sauce.

Nomnomnom

Thanks Kristen and Lynnht! I'm now recalling a Cook's Illustrated recipe I used to make which offered the suggestion of using lime juice & salt as an alternate to the fish sauce. I'm going to do it!

SeaJambon

The thread that Kristen referenced has a great link to "fishless fish sauce" from the kitchn. The explanation is also helpful, in that it discusses how fish sauce hits the umami spot and there are only certain flavors that do that. Lime and salt will be tasty but won't hit umami -- as they indicate, fish is high in umami (hence the success of a small bit of fish sauce in a number of dishes) but so are fermented foods and mushrooms. If you want to get that umami hit, I'd suggest using thekitchn's recipe http://www.thekitchn.com...

Nomnomnom

Thanks SeaJambon!