🔕 🔔

Keeping tahini-based dressing

Hey guys, I just made a roasted cauliflower and eggplant recipe that included a tahini and lemon juice dressing. The dressing was really good, but it made a lot more than I needed. Can I keep this in my fridge, covered? How long? It's a pretty simple dressing, just has 1/4 c each tahini, water and lemon juice, some minced garlic and finally 1/4 t salt. Thanks!

asked by WannabeBaker about 5 years ago

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Yes, tahini is very shelf-stable, especially in the fridge. The lemon juice will be the first to go off - pitch it if/when you sense a strange odour or there is discolouration (slime/mould). Give it a taste before using, as the raw garlic may start to overpower too.

It probably won't last too many days in the fridge as the freshness will begin to fade due to the lemon juice and garlic. You could make a green goddess type dressing out of the leftover mix that you already have since the basic ingredients are there (will have to add a few additional ingredients). Or you could make hummus since those are the same base ingredients as well. Blend/puree a can of chick peas with the mix+olive oil and then just adjust the lemon juice/garlic/salt to taste. Hope this helps!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I have used a similar dressing -- mine was pretty thick -- as a mayo type spread. Could also be used as a veggie burger base, with beans, grated veg, onions, bread crumbs. (This would be what I might call play dough -- just play with it!)