Keeping tahini-based dressing

Hey guys, I just made a roasted cauliflower and eggplant recipe that included a tahini and lemon juice dressing. The dressing was really good, but it made a lot more than I needed. Can I keep this in my fridge, covered? How long? It's a pretty simple dressing, just has 1/4 c each tahini, water and lemon juice, some minced garlic and finally 1/4 t salt. Thanks!

Reiney
Reiney August 3, 2012

Yes, tahini is very shelf-stable, especially in the fridge. The lemon juice will be the first to go off - pitch it if/when you sense a strange odour or there is discolouration (slime/mould). Give it a taste before using, as the raw garlic may start to overpower too.

Lost_in_NYC
Lost_in_NYC August 4, 2012

It probably won't last too many days in the fridge as the freshness will begin to fade due to the lemon juice and garlic. You could make a green goddess type dressing out of the leftover mix that you already have since the basic ingredients are there (will have to add a few additional ingredients). Or you could make hummus since those are the same base ingredients as well. Blend/puree a can of chick peas with the mix+olive oil and then just adjust the lemon juice/garlic/salt to taste. Hope this helps!

susan g August 4, 2012

I have used a similar dressing -- mine was pretty thick -- as a mayo type spread. Could also be used as a veggie burger base, with beans, grated veg, onions, bread crumbs. (This would be what I might call play dough -- just play with it!)