🔕 🔔

How would you cook veal heart?

asked by SallyCan over 7 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

At St. John in London, where offal is the main event, I once had ox heart sliced thinly, seasoned with salt and pepper and then seared very quickly on each side, with the center left a little pink. I loved it, and I suspect veal heart would benefit from the same treatment.

7002ebae 186f 4382 8a5c 45cb4bd5877b  2 11 016

Sounds good~was it served as is, with no sauce? Also, are there any tricks to slicing it, or a direction to go with it?

I don't remember whether there was a sauce, but I think a pesto/chimichurri-type accompaniment might be good. I haven't made heart this way so couldn't give you any tips on technique -- you may want to check out the "Nose to Tail" books by Fergus Henderson, who owns St. John.

I would give it the same treatment that you might give to veal tongue, although it wouldn't need to be peeled.

Perino, what would you do with a veal tongue?

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

I like my beef heart braised with skirlie stovies, which is potatoes with pin oats/steele cut oats, onions and beef broth. Very Scottish and very good. The skirlie stovies are one of my favorite dishes.

What I would do with a veal tongue is to first bring it to a boil in water with a bouquet garnie of your own device, simmer until tender. There's probably a bit of bone at the back that you will need to cut out. Peel the tongue and cut it into cubes and braise it in a sweet/savory tomato based sauce. I'm on the road and don't have a tongue recipe on my laptop. Heart is also muscle with texture similar to tongue. If I were stupid enough to be a contestant on "Chopped" and found veal heart in my basket that's how I would approach it---unless I chose to throw it at Ted Allen.