IT'S EASIEST, FASTEST, BEST WEEK! (WAIT, LITERALLY?) READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

When cooking turkey what would be the ideal temperature in the beginning and towards the end? I have heard people cook it on high temperature and then drop it down towards the end. Please help.

Also, has anyone ever brined the turkey in apple juice, water, garlic,salt, etc...? I was thinking of doing that and wanted to know if it would work. Thank you all so much for your help.

asked by mpatik almost 6 years ago
C8ffa92e 3766 46b4 8290 dbef5c382a03  james joyce 1

My usual preface: no two ovens are calibrated exactly alike. You would be amazed at the differences from what's on the dial. Yes, start high after you've rubbed your brined meat with olive oil and coarse salt. Crank up the heat high and turn it down after 20 minutes. But what matters most is the temperature when measured in the meaty portion of the thigh. That should be 150F. Allow it to rest tented in foil before carving.

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

I roast at 450 degrees for 30 minutes and then turn it down to 325-350. I roast to 160 to ensure the dark meat is cooked through and then let it rest for 30 minutes.