Spring, meet grill pan—on sale for $99! Shop now »

What to do with multi-colored carrots?

I bought a lovely bunch of colorful carrots this morning at the market-- purple, white, reddish. I've never tried these and understand the flavors are a bit distinct from the typical orange. Any suggestions on a way to cook them to let those natural flavors shine? Just roast them as I would any other root vegetable? Thanks!

asked by MegB about 4 years ago
8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

This is just an idea to set off the pretty colors. I don't have a precise recipe but make from memory a Moroccan carrot salad. Grate the carrots, then dress with a little bit of orange flower water, a little oil, a little lemon juice, and a chopped green like parsley or scallion or cilantro. It's so pretty with regular orange carrots and fresh tasting, I am imagining a photo op with the multicolored carrots.

You could peel and cut nicely on the bias and simmer gently with a little water, some raw sugar and about an inch long piece if fresh grated ginger (depending on number of carrots. Drain and serve with a little freshly chopped parsley.