🔕 🔔

I have a pressure cooker I use for cooking. Can I use that for canning?

Or do I need one specially made for canning?

asked by Black Orchid over 4 years ago

MDC

Some pressure cookers are adjustable and can be dual-purposed, but generally I agree with SKK, you want to ensure that you're achieving the right pressure for anything that isn't sufficiently acidic to prevent the growth of bacteria.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Most pressure cookers designed for cooking are not big enough to accomodate pint or quart jars.

1159112d e9d2 47a5 aa03 ccf4491917f1  img 9977
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

When canning with a pressure cooker, make sure that you ALWAYS use recipes that have been approved by the USDA, such as the Ball Blue Book. They can give you insight on if you have a pressure cooker that is appropriate for canning.