🔕 🔔

Fish pie recipe calls for light cream (in pie, not crust). Can I substitute something for it that is less calorie-laden?

asked by susankellen about 5 years ago

ATG117

well a pie crust is rather calorie laden already, so I don't think you'd be saving much by subbing something for the cream. If the recipe only calls for a tablespoon or two, though, you'd probably be fine subbing whole milk.

ATG117

Sorry misread this re the crust. What type of pie is it?

jmburns

I usually top my fish pie with mashed potatoes much like Shepard pie.

Having said that I would not worry about the minimal amount is cream in the pie filling but whole milk should work but not be as rich.