favorite cookbooks on turkish cuisine?

Looking for a cookbook of Turkish recipes. Currently choosing between Sultan's Kitchen (Ozcan Ozan) and Turkey (Leanne Kitchen). Preferences between these two, or other favorites?

asked by Rivka over 5 years ago

M A M

Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos

My rec would be "Arabesque" by Claudia Roden. About a third of the book is devoted to Turkey. She is a remarkable food historian to whom I will bow down and honor. Istanbul (was Constantinople) is where Europe and Arabia collide.

dymnyno

Turquoise by Greg and Lucy Malouf is one of my favorites.

bigpan

Can't recommend a book, but I was in Istanbul recently and had a wonderful tomato salad for lunch (with kabobs, of course). This recipe is quite similar and easy to make.
http://www.foodandwine...

thirschfeld

While not specifically Turkish, Paula Wolfert's Cooking of Eastern Mediterranean is always great.

All the books mentioned above are great. I have a copy of A Cookery Tale by Sahrap Soysal, which I like. However, I don't know how easy it would be to find--I bought the book on a trip to Turkey two years ago.

SPICE, Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean, by Ana Sortun, is impressive, as is her restaurant Oleana, in Cambridge MA. From the blurb: she 'learned the traditions of Turkish cooking from local women.'

RobynE

Kitchen's and Malouf's books are beautiful and the recipes are good; they are Aussie-style interpretations of Turkish dishes rather than "authentic" (for lack of a better word) recipes, if that matters to you. Classic Turkish Cooking by Ghillie Basan was recently reissued in soft cover and it's very good. But I most highly recommend Classical Turkish Cooking by Ayla Algar, a teacher of Turkish at UC Berkeley, a linguist and culinary researcher. It has no photographs but does include a wealth of information/culinary history/background on dishes. Algar grew up in Turkey. Her recipes are very clear and produce "real" Turkish food.