A question about a recipe: Scotch Eggs

788ca330 02ee 4140 bddd 70daf32022ba  2017 1206 sponsored post egglands best scotch eggs 3x2 rocky luten 033

I have a question about the recipe "Scotch Eggs" from lorigoldsby. What kind of sausage is best for scotch eggs?

dymnyno

I have used country style pork sausage with good results. Or, you can just use ground pork and add your own seasonings and herbs.

dymnyno

Any seasoning combo you recommend?

I agree with dymnyno. If you can grind pork from a single piece or pieces you can season it with salt, pepper, fresh chopped sage to your own taste. I might be inclined to add pimenton to it but that would sort of take the "scotch" out of it.

Good call on the pimenton. I just happened to have purchased a small (which I now regret because I should have gotten the larger size) container of Espelette.

I use just mild breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean). But I also don't deep fry them and use convection bake to cook them--the brown up just fine in the oven because they're pretty oily when cooking.

Good to know. I will probably bake them since I hate the mess of deep frying. You used regular breadcrumbs?

I've used just normal seasoned breadcrumbs and Panko before. But frankly they're so rich I've even skipped the breadcrumbs and they convection bake just fine.
It also helps to roll out the sausage between wax paper so you can get a thin coat on the eggs.