choc chips emergency

In midst of making blondies. Opened new bag of chips and many are dried out, even tho not stored next to heat source. Can they be used in recipe and if not, why? Wont they melt just like others?

• Posted by: barb48
  • July 14, 2013

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois July 14, 2013

What do you mean by dried out? Do the chocolate chips appear to have whitish spots or coating? If so, that is known as bloom. It just means the chocolate chips are out of temper and the cocoa butter in them has changed form. They don't look pretty, but it is fine to use them.

barb48
barb48 July 14, 2013

Yes, they are whitish, as if lost some color, like light brown instead of normal color. Does't that change the flavor in baking?

barb48
barb48 July 14, 2013

Sorry, but will they look like that aft baking? Thanks v. Much.

Voted the Best Reply!

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois July 14, 2013

Bloom shouldn't change the flavor of the chocolate. It just means the cocoa butter has gotten warm and rises to the surface of the chocolate, changing the appearance. The chocolate has fallen out of temper, but it's perfectly safe to use. It will melt in the oven and should taste just the same.

(For more on chocolate temper, you can check out http://www.davidlebovitz...)

barb48
barb48 July 14, 2013

Thanks again. Is there a proper way to store choc. in summer if you have a tiny Nyc apy?

barb48
barb48 July 14, 2013

^^^apartment.

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois July 14, 2013

I used to keep mine in the fridge if I had the space. But it's probably better to just keep it in the coolest, darkest spot you can find and hope for the best. The bloom doesn't looks very appetizing, but it's harmless and the chocolate is still good.