choc chips emergency

In midst of making blondies. Opened new bag of chips and many are dried out, even tho not stored next to heat source. Can they be used in recipe and if not, why? Wont they melt just like others?

asked by barb48 over 5 years ago

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

What do you mean by dried out? Do the chocolate chips appear to have whitish spots or coating? If so, that is known as bloom. It just means the chocolate chips are out of temper and the cocoa butter in them has changed form. They don't look pretty, but it is fine to use them.

barb48

Yes, they are whitish, as if lost some color, like light brown instead of normal color. Does't that change the flavor in baking?

barb48

Sorry, but will they look like that aft baking? Thanks v. Much.

barb48

Thanks again. Is there a proper way to store choc. in summer if you have a tiny Nyc apy?

barb48

^^^apartment.

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois

I used to keep mine in the fridge if I had the space. But it's probably better to just keep it in the coolest, darkest spot you can find and hope for the best. The bloom doesn't looks very appetizing, but it's harmless and the chocolate is still good.