Ideas on left over polenta?

I made this recipe the other night. Cheesy Fried Polenta with Spicy Eggplant Stew, http://food52.com/recipes.... We loved it, but the recipe for the polenta made more than we could eat. Now I need ideas on how to use the polenta wedges (they haven't been fried yet). I know it has been used with roasted meats (I'm a vegitarian - but am looking for a friend who isn't) but can't find any here. I don't think I'm using the correct search term.

Does any one have a recipe they can point me too?
Thanks

• Posted by: lsgerman
  • September 15, 2013

Maedl September 15, 2013

I wouldn't bother with a recipe. I would slice it and fry it in butter or olive oil. If the polenta is already cheesy, it could be eaten just like that--perhaps topped with some sort of tomato sauce. If the polenta is not strongly flavored, you could top it with ricotta sweetened with a bit of honey and grated lemon peel, and then put it under the broiler until it is hot and beginning to brown.

PazzoNico
PazzoNico September 15, 2013

Arancini di Polenta (polenta arancini; polenta replaces risotto).

Gnocchi di Polenta (made in the same manner as Gnocchi alla Romana; baked).

pierino September 15, 2013

If you know the yield is going to bed too much spread it out in a sheet pan while it is still soft. It can rest overnight if covered. Bake in the oven at about 350F. This is similar to what PazzoNico is suggesting for "gnocchi". Cut into squares you can top it with a ragu type sauce. If your vegetarian, tomato and mushroom based.

pierino September 15, 2013

Ah! An edit function would be helpful. Please read as, "yield is going to be too much..." Apparently I go to bed too much.

Tyson Amick
Tyson Amick September 15, 2013

If you want it soft, just reconstitute it. Put in a pot, add a bit of liquid (stock, milk, water, etc) and heat. Adjust seasoning and go. You can always reuse polenta, it's pretty bulletproof.

arcane54
arcane54 September 15, 2013

This is one of my go-to favorites for potlucks. Vegetarians and )non-veg) love it! coat one side of the triangle with melted butter. If large (>2") cut into smaller pieces, layer "shingle-style" in a well-buttered baking dish. Crumble about 1/2 to 3/4 lb of gorgonzola over the top (no need to the 'spensive stuff here). Bake at 350-375 until the edges of polenta pieces are browned and the cheese is melted. Top with your favorite tomato sauce or a roasted red-pepper sauce. Devour. Gratitude to Mollie Katzen for Sundays at Moosewood. (Did anyone else have the experience of auto-correcting from polenta to polecat? Hah!)

boulangere September 15, 2013

Spread it out on an oiled baking sheet and refrigerate it overnight. The next day, cut it into squares of whatever size you think best, wrap them in plastic, and freeze them individually. To re-purpose them, thaw, then fry in some olive oil, and top however you please. I love fried polenta topped with a slice of tomato and a poached egg with some olive oil over the top and some minced fresh herbs.

Bill F
Bill F September 16, 2013

Slice it fry it and top with poached eggs and hollandaise and you have a vegetarian breakfast. (essentially vegetarian because most veg's eat eggs)

HinOh
HinOh September 16, 2013

Slice it, brush both sides with olive oil and grill it. Serve with salsa.

ChefJune September 16, 2013

One of my favorite lunches is polenta squares (either fried or baked) topped with chunky tomato sauce and sauteed cremini mushrooms on the side.

lsgerman
lsgerman September 18, 2013

WOW! So many great ideas! I can't wait to try all of them. Thanks so much... :)