Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Truly Scrumptious Apple Pie

B82dedc4 e5c4 426e 9998 e5e6b151515b  2013 0916 wc scrumptious apple pie 003 1

I have a question about the recipe "Truly Scrumptious Apple Pie" from mrslarkin. I'd like to assemble this the night before, to bake the next morning. Will it work to freeze the bottom crust in the pie plate, and then dump the prepared apples in it and cover it with a cold top crust, and then put it right back in the freezer? ;o)

asked about 3 years ago
Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

Hi AJ, I am hoping that mrslarkin, pie expert that she is, will weigh in. But here are my thoughts. I have not made mrsl's Scrumptious Pie yet, but I plan to do so soon. However, borrowing a tip from my mother, I often do just what you outline above with fruit pies: Line pie plate with bottom crust, add fruit filling, cover with top crust and stick the entire pie in the freezer, unbaked. I have used this method with apple, sour cherry, rhubarb, and Amanda's raspberry swamp pie (although when I did that one, I did not add the cream and egg yolk mixture to the filling until I was baking it). Bottom crusts have never been soggy using this method, and since apple slices are tosssed in lemon juice, I would expect that that would prevent them from turning brown. :)

Thanks so much, cookinvictoria! So helpful. ;o)

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I have friends who live in apple country and make lots and lots of unbaked pies every year. I don't think they probably use your freeze-the-bottom-first trick but I like it.

Here's a King Arthur Flour post on freezing unbaked apple pie. http://www.kingarthurflour...

Chris, the article you linked is perfect! Some excellent related pieces on freezing other holiday treats are linked from that page, too. Fantastic resource. Thank you so much. ;o)

The King Arthur link has some good tips. It suggests that you defrost a frozen pie overnight in the refrgerator before baking, to keep the crust tender. I forgot to mention that I usually defrost too before baking but for a much shorter time -- usually for just an hour or two.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Hi guys, apologies for not seeing this question a month ago. I've never frozen a whole pie before, but I trust whatever the King Arthur people say, as well as everyone who has commented above! Happy Thanksgiving to you all.