What do you do with leftover egg whites (4) when you make a recipe that uses only the egg yolks?

asked by monkeymom almost 8 years ago

gingerroot

You can use one to bind a rice crust for a quiche - lapadia has a great, easy recipe on food52.

Egg white omelet for my always dieting friends. Meringue cookies. I made a spinach casserole with leftover egg whites that's posted at the site, too.

Foodelf

Meringue shells for filling w/fruit or pavlova. Egg whites freeze really well; just remember to mark how many there are on the container, though.

macarons!

phyllis

Egg white omelet or your can freeze for later use.

dymnyno

Meringue... Make shells for filling... They will keep in a large tupperwaRe container for a long time.

mnr_t

Forgotten Cookies! Easy, keep for ages, and fun. Drbabs has a good recipe on food52; mine uses a bit less sugar and no nuts. Peppermints smashed are good in it too!

lallimusic

you can also freeze them

elizabeth627

I freeze them until I have enough for a brown sugar or lemon angel food cake.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I think it's an opportunity to make an Angel Pie. It's a meringue pie shell filled with chocolate and topped with whipped cream. The best recipe I've seen is in Lora Brody's Growing Up on the Chocolate Diet.

lapadia

2 egg whites = an egg, so you can use them in any other recipe calling for eggs. I also like the freezing idea.