A question about a recipe: French Onion Tart

Da88f425 8754 4711 ad72 c5a387871f37  food52 10 02 12 0686

I have a question about the recipe "French Onion Tart" from Jennifer Perillo. Is the seltzer water essential for this crust? I don't have any, and would very much appreciate knowing whether there is a good substitute. Thank you. ;o)

People say that using seltzer water in pie crusts makes them flakier. But I would not hesitate to substitute water in that (delicious looking!) recipe.

Droplet

A pinch, 1/8 tsp or so, of baking powder would be a good substitute.

Get a Soda Stream. To make soda water on demand. It's excellent for all type of drinks (and even for baking and making fried batters) ours has earned a coveted spot on the counter top for past 5 years.