🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: John Besh's Green Olive Tapenade

39433411 847d 473a 986f a2b154a619ca  2013 1011 green olive tapenade 127

I have a question about the recipe "John Besh's Green Olive Tapenade" from Merrill Stubbs. What type of olives would you suggest using? Also, any veg friendly substitutes for the anchovies or will I lie losing a key aspect of the spread?

asked by ATG117 about 4 years ago

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I made this the other day and it's delicious! I was inspired by the photo and used green pitted olives. I'm not sure what kind they were, however I used two different types which were offered at my markets olive bar. I don't think you can go wrong. As for the anchovy replacement, here's a link to a prior discussion on the Food 52 hotline regarding that topic. Here's the link http://food52.com/hotline...

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Picholines or Lucques.

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Lucques and Picholines are both great options. You might also try Cerignolas.

My personal favorite for the green ones are Castelvetrano. Cerignolas are great because they are big, fat and easy to pit. Don't forget your capers! Its not tapenade without capers. For me anchovies are an essential component but it's not the most assertive flavor if you use good ones. So buy good ones and not the "pizza anchovies".