Uses for Dry Bananas?

Have a few bananas on hand that never quite did their thing and became super-ripe and primed for bread. Instead they are "ripe-ish" on the outside but the center and banana itself is rather dry- a depressing trend I've been noticing with some bananas lately. Other than being pickier where I buy them, anyone have experience using them for anything- making chips or applications to baked goods where dry would be better? Would love ideas/links!

Kristen Miglore November 18, 2013

I haven't tried it myself, but one trick in Cook's Illustrated's Ultimate Banana Bread is microwaving the bananas to make them soft and sweet, then reducing their liquid -- might be worth a try: http://www.cookistry.com/2011/11/ultimate-banana-bread-from-cooks.html

Adianne
Adianne November 18, 2013

I make a lot of banana bread and have used the Cooks Illustrated recipe referred to above. It is no better than any other good recipe and a lot more fiddling with the bananas. Not up to their usual standards with this overly fussy recipe.

PazzoNico
PazzoNico November 18, 2013

Banana ketchup. Sounds odd, but it's pretty good (and fairly straight forward). Tons of recipes on the web.