Increasing a cake recipe

I am making a Nigella Lawson lemon/polenta/almond cake that calls for a 9" springform pan. I want to feed a few more people so I was going to switch to a 10" springform. Should I increase the recipe by ½ more or by 1/3 more? The recipe has 3 eggs in it so I thought it would be easier to increase it by a third.

asked by Inko almost 5 years ago

I'd go with 1/3 -- and you may have a little extra batter leftover!

Inko

Thanks! I'll do it.

rt21

Check out www.lindyscakes.co.uk and look at the chart it will tell you how much batter you need for the bigger pan

Inko

That is an amazing and somewhat overwhelming website. I found the chart and it should be handy for many baking questions. Thanks. So many people asked questions about baking a Madeira Cake - now I'm curious about that!

The volume of a 10" cake pan is 24% greater than than of a 9" pan, so let that be your guide to increasing the recipe. A 20% increase would probably be safest.

Inko

Thanks for the precise answer.