🔕 🔔

With the Judy Bird recipe, how do you calculate / estimate cooking time?

Sorry! My question accidentally posted before I clicked to submit and now there are 3 posts that don't work. But help! :)

Supposedly, dry-brined turkeys cook more quickly and this recipe calls for 30 min at 425, turning, then roasting at 325 for the remainder (approx 2 3/4 hrs total). It seems like the recipe estimates cooking time based on a 12-16 pound bird but that's a big window. What would the cooking time be for a 14 3/4 pound turkey? I read in another post that dry-brined birds need about 13 min per pound but that puts me at 3 1/3 hrs. Any advice? I just don't want to put this thing in the oven too soon.

asked by julianne114 almost 4 years ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Yes, plan for 13 minutes a pound. If it reaches temp sooner than expected, you can always stick your cooked turkey in a cooler to keep it warm!

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Your timing sounds about right. for the size bird. Use a thermometer to check the internal temp which should reach 165 in the thickest part of the bird.

D7ce06be a444 4049 8f92 3c1b68e17f21  2012 12 07at12 51 00

Great. Thank you!