I usually make cake from scratch but making cake pops for toddler birthday and in need of good store bought cake mix and frosting.

asked by joanne almost 5 years ago

Assonta Wagner

I like the ones that require butter. Plus instead of water, I use milk. It makes the cake so much better. Even the crumb turns out better

ATG117

I would still stay away from your typical commercial brands which are loaded with tons of junky ingredients. Maybe head to a store like whole foods and try to find some mixes that have short and simple ingredient lists. Making a simple buttercream might not be too difficult, but if you can't do that, I'd use the same good and short ingredient list tactic. Another option: buy a prepared cake with frosting from a bakery you trust, and use that.

My local gourmet market sells King Arthur Flour All-Natural Golden Vanilla Cake Mix, but I think Betty Crocker SuperMoist Golden Vanilla Cake Mix is very good as well.

Read more: Yellow Cake Mix Reviews - Taste Test of Yellow Cake Mixes - Good Housekeeping
Follow us: @goodhousemag on Twitter | GOODHOUSEKEEPING on Facebook