I love the unique look of the "Paintbrush Cookies" but I was wondering what the texture of the cookies themselves are. For example, soft and chew...

...y, cakelike, crisp, etc. Also, how do the design and colors hold up if the cookies are frozen

• Posted by: Loriann
  • January 15, 2014
Paintbrush Cookies Redux
Recipe question for: Paintbrush Cookies Redux

GiGi26 January 21, 2014
My granddaughters and I have made these cookies.They turn out semi-soft not at all hard just a little crunch. We love them!

Loriann January 21, 2014
Super! Maybe I can experiment with baking times and cookie thickness to achieve the perfect softer texture I'm after. I appreciate the feedback :-)

Casey January 21, 2014
Loriann, you might be interested in this book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brilliant-Biscuits-Fun-decorate-occasions/dp/0716023229

Loriann January 21, 2014
Thank you, this book (Brilliant Biscuits) looks wonderful! It's also available on our American Amazon and I will definitely purchase the Kindle edition.

Hilarybee January 15, 2014
This is my opinion here based on a lot of baking. I have not made this recipe.
I think if you want a soft cookie you shouldn't use the painted cookie technique directly on the cookie-- since it introduces extra moisture that a soft cookie might not be able to handle. Try giving the soft cookies a nice thin coat of white royal icing. Let it dry, then paint away.

Loriann January 21, 2014
Good point. Perhaps on the icing, the above suggested (hardlikearmour) corn syrup paint may be better. Thanks.

hardlikearmour January 15, 2014
I hope calendargirl will answer, since I've not made these cookies. It seems to me you could use any rolled out sugar cookie recipe that you know you like, instead. You can also use corn syrup thinned with water to make the "paint".

Loriann January 21, 2014
Thanks! Worth experimenting with. I'll give it a try.