A question about a recipe: Chestnut and Chickpea Soup

I have a question about the recipe "Chestnut and Chickpea Soup" from Emiko. I'm all out of white wine, what would be a good substitute? I have both red wine and white wine vinegar. Thanks!

93a063c1 3cdc 4139 9344 3f9525fc4f2b  img 7660 zuppa di castagne food52
Recipe question for: Chestnut and Chickpea Soup

Pegeen January 19, 2014

Since the recipe only calls for 1/3 cup wine, I think you're OK with white wine vinegar BUT I would start with less than 1/4 cup white wine vinegar, stir and give it a few minutes to incorporate, taste and decide. If it seems too acidic, add a tiny amount (a teaspoon) of honey. If you don't have honey, a small pinch of sugar will do. (There is sugar in wine.)
http://food52.com/recipes...

mbierlich
mbierlich January 19, 2014

Thanks Pegeen, will give that a try!

Pegeen January 19, 2014

p.s. For such a small amount of wine (1/3 cup), you could also substitute vermouth or madeira. Or any kind of broth - chicken, vegetable or beef.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN January 20, 2014

vermouth yes, DRY vermouth; or DRY sherry, or Madeira.But not sweet versions of any of these. btw, you now can buy little 6 packs of 8 ou. wine bottles just for times like these!

Pegeen January 19, 2014

p.p.s. This is just me speaking, but I always think it's great for people to add their experience in the comments to the poster's recipes. They help other readers a lot - I always spend a lot of time reading comments before I cook - always pays off. Meaning - add a comment to the recipe about how you deal with the wine substitution and if vinegar is OK! Cheers ;-)

bigpan
bigpan January 19, 2014

White (dry) vermouth is a cooks best friend.
If using a vinegar, add in a bit at a time (eg, 1 tablespoon at a time), taste, to make sure you do end up with too much acid taste.

sexyLAMBCHOPx January 19, 2014

I would opt for vegetable or mushroom stock/broth.