What to do with the leftover braising liquid from Chinese Style Honey Hoisin Sticky Ribs

I made the Chinese Style Honey Hoisin Sticky Ribs this weekend, and thought they were delicious. Best ribs I've ever made. Per the recipe's suggestion, I saved and froze the delicious braising liquid. Any suggestions for what I might make with it? Thanks.

asked by JessicaHansen over 4 years ago

The recipe author notes: You can make a soup from the liquid, or freeze it for the next time you want to make an Asian red cooked dish. (If you plan to cook the ribs later in the week, you can let the ribs cool right in the pot, then place the whole thing into the fridge until you are ready to finish the ribs in the oven.)

Also, in the comments section someone successfully used the braising liquid to prepare chicken thighs, the same way as the ribs.

JessicaHansen

Thanks. I should note, I understand how to use stocks, I'm just looking for ideas or inspiration. What kind of soup or dish might others make with this soy-pork-ginger-onion-garlic broth?

Didn't mean to come off snarky. You can use the braising liquid for an Asian type noodle soup or use it to cook some rice in place of water.

Roast a chicken or chicken parts with it (you might want to brush it on toward the end of the roasting - because of the sugar content it might burn too fast if it's on from the beginning). Add it to a stir-fry of veggies, beef, pork or chicken. As a baste for pork chops or pork tenderloin or the top of a good meatloaf.

JessicaHansen

Adding it as a flavor enhancer for stir fries is a nice idea. Makes me wish I had frozen it in smaller increments!

Jessica, to use as a baste, you might need to simmer it in a saucepan on the stove on very low heat for quite a while until it reduces to a thicker liquid.

Maybe just break up the frozen block into chunks with a screwdriver, and put some back in the freezer?

LE BEC FIN

hi jess, i have frozen a similar mixture and all the fat and collagen from the ribs- made its frozen form very cuttable with a chef's knife. but it is wicked concentrated soy/salty. If you re-use it for stirfry or fried rice or braising something, consider adding more of some or all of the ingredients except the soy, then taste it and adjust for braising. keep reusing it. that's what i also do with my adobo sauce (soy sauce, vinegar,water, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaf). add more stock and/or water to thin it.

If supplemented with a lot of stock, it would make a great noodle soup (google chinese beef noodle soup as opposed to Pho or Japnese soups, which have a whole diff flavor profile.)I love okra and i am always looking for non-tomatoey braising liquids for okra (just because 99% of braised okra recipes are tomatoey)so this mixture would do a good job with that. Take a look at this great recipe from Tom of 52, for his purloo, and imagine substituting your mixture for his herbs,removing the meat or subing poultry. to turn out a real different(from your original dish) one pot meal, with or without meat...
http://food52.com/recipes...

Sarah

Grill some pork cutlets and make tacos! Or, if you're feeling up to it, steamed buns. Hell, I'd put a splash in my bloody mary.