Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cassoulet

D7fb8904 d54b 4cf1 9c2e b85622ea788a  cassoulet photo2

I have a question about the recipe "Cassoulet" from AntoniaJames. Antonia, what kind of pan do you use for this? Deep or shallow?

asked by Lazyretirementgirl almost 3 years ago

Well, it's sort of in-between. I use a LeCreuset "French oven" (we always called them "Dutch ovens" when I was a girl) that's 4 1/4" tall and 9 1/2" in diameter. You want a nice wide pot, so you can get as much of that crumb/crouton topping on it as possible. At the same time, there's quite a bit of volume, when all the ingredients are combined, so a standard braising pot -- mine is the same diameter but not as deep -- won't do the job. Thank you for asking! ;o)

Db04188c 8f91 47df a552 621f04661afe  image

Thanks! I have that exact pot, so can proceed with confidence. On a slightly different note, what pot do you use for your braises? I have never been much for braising, but want to give it a try.

I have a LeCreuset that's the same diameter but shallower than I use for braises, but the pot you have now will work just fine. If you're braising something that doesn't take up much room, i.e., there's a lot of empty space between it and the top, you should put a circle of parchment directly over it (down inside), and then the lid on as usual, to keep the heat/steam down around the food. You really should do more braising! It usually involves relatively little effort for a great payback. Have a fun weekend! ;o)

That should be "shallower, that (not 'than') I use for braises." Sorry. ;o)