🔕 🔔

What wine in a risotto?

The recipe is one of Ottolenghi's, and it calls for a 1/2 cup of white wine. I have a bottle of dry sherry here and not much else -- would this work or should I try to pick something else up? (I know nothing about wine, since I don't like it, so please excuse me if this is a dumb question :))

asked by Rachel 7 months ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I would not use sherry, it would overpower the risotto IMO. Either pick up some dry white wine like pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc. I find chardonnay a bit too oaky for risotto. If you don't want to out use same amount of broth/stock in place of wine.

Sherry could be used, but it will give the risotto a very specific and atypical flavor. If you don't like wine, you don't have to use it at all.Just start with some broth that you are going to use to build your risotto.
My personal preference for risotto is a soft Italian white such as Gavi or Vernacchia de San Gimignano.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I agree with Chef June. Chicken broth will work fine. I am sure it will still be great. Good Luck!

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

You're essentially using the wine to bring out alcohol soluble flavors and to add a bit of bright acidity. I use something very dry and crisp like a Pinot Grigio. However, I rarely have wine lying around the house, so I often don't put it in. Risotto is something I make often, and it would be a shame to forgo it just because of the wine.

A7ddfad8 0c86 45e9 84e3 db0f6f338e14  barefoot contessa

You could also replace the wine with a dry white vermouth if you have that on hand. I have also seen risotto made with red wine (I have not tried it), however this will obviously change the appearance of the final dish. As for which wine to use--as they say if you would like to drink it then use it. ;-))