kombu

Can you substitute nori for kombu in miso broth? Or should I just make it with the bonito flakes and leave the seaweed out all together. I'm out of kelp :(

asked by Elizabeth H over 4 years ago

It won't taste the same. But Rather than just bonito I'd go with the Nori...or wakiame.
For next time---have a bottle of Dashi Crystals for instant broth option; the Dashi Crystals are actually a very good sub for fresh.
Another reason for the Kombu is that it's a natural source of MSG...so if you a bit "Accent" seasoning.
And for probably the best option is use mushrooms. Boil hard...then add Bonito off heat..boil 30 seconds and strain.

Elizabeth H

Thank you!