🔕 🔔

kombu

Can you substitute nori for kombu in miso broth? Or should I just make it with the bonito flakes and leave the seaweed out all together. I'm out of kelp :(

asked by Elizabeth H over 3 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

It won't taste the same. But Rather than just bonito I'd go with the Nori...or wakiame.
For next time---have a bottle of Dashi Crystals for instant broth option; the Dashi Crystals are actually a very good sub for fresh.
Another reason for the Kombu is that it's a natural source of MSG...so if you a bit "Accent" seasoning.
And for probably the best option is use mushrooms. Boil hard...then add Bonito off heat..boil 30 seconds and strain.

20f45ecb 3e10 4807 95eb 45cbab06f25e  vintage 101 street

Thank you!